by Dom Geracia
Summer time is the perfect time for making great memories and sharing EXCELLENT food. One of my favorite picnic foods has to be, without a doubt, my Keto Fried Chicken recipe.
Now, I may not be a Southerner, but fried chicken is near and dear to my heart and has to meet a certain criteria:
- It MUST be crispy.
- It MUST be moist.
- It MUST be seasoned well.
After experimenting with a few different types of low carb breading for my chicken (was not a fan of coconut flour), I tried a variation using pork rinds and whey protein. This one is a winner!
Yep — and I’m really glad I decided to give it a try. Even if you don’t like pork rinds, you will absolutely LOVE these! The flavor of the pork rinds is easily hidden with the flavorful spice blend.
For this recipe, I tend to use chicken breasts or tenderloins, though you can use whichever parts you like. Cooking times will vary for other pieces of chicken.
In addition to being low carb, this recipe is also gluten-free and very satisfying. It goes fantastic with my Keto Potato Salad or some cheese-covered cauliflower!
Crispy Keto Fried Chicken
Marinating the chicken
- In a bowl, mix together heavy cream and hot sauce. Add chicken and let marinade for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. After marinating, we can start preparing the chicken.
Breading the chicken
- Preheat oven to 420º F.
- In a bowl, combine pork rind crumbs, whey protein, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, chili powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. This is our breading mixture.
- Using a fork, shake off any excess marinade and then drop the chicken directly into the breading mixture. Move it around to coat. I do this one-by-one to ensure each one is covered entirely.
- Position the chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the chicken until internal temperature hits 165º F and the outside is golden brown. For tenderloins, this is around 15 minutes. For other cuts, your time will likely be longer.
Keto fried chicken variations
- Are you a fan of pickles? Use the leftover liquid to whip up my Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders. They’re amazing!
- Don’t limit yourself with the chicken pieces! In the past, I’ve used chicken thighs as well, but they do take longer. This is especially true if they’re bone-in.
- Most traditional fried chicken is done by deep frying, but I hate cleaning up the mess after. I suggest using an Air Fryer (life-changing… especially for chicken wings) or the oven. You can also pan-fry these (I would probably use refined coconut oil so it doesn’t have a flavor), but I notice that the breading doesn’t stay on as well with this method.
- Change up the seasonings. Instead of the traditional spice blend with onion and garlic powder, try some Cajun seasoning instead. I love the extra kick it gives to the fried chicken!
What low carb side would you serve with this recipe? Comment below!
Dom Geracia is a long time Keto diet follower who is passionate about simplifying the low carb lifestyle for beginners. When he's not posting yummy food pics on Instagram, you can likely find him cuddling the nearest cat or guzzling down (yet another) iced coffee.
Never miss a post!
Get e-mail updates sent directly to your inbox.