“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Learning how to cook bacon in the oven has been a serious kitchen game-changer for me. Aside from being so simple, the final product is absolutely perfect every single time!
I'm confident that after you use this method just once, your bacon game is going to completely change!
Tips for Preparing Bacon in the Oven
Preparing bacon in the oven is near full-proof, but there are a couple of things to take into consideration:
- Using thick cut bacon? My recipe uses regular slices, but this method will still work great. Depending on the thickness, the cooking time will likely be longer.
- As mentioned in the recipe, DO NOT preheat your oven. This method prevents the bacon from curling and reduces bacon fat splatters.
- I almost always use an aluminum foil lined baking sheetÂ when cooking my bacon, but parchment paper also works. I do recommend one or the other, as the sheet pans can be annoying to clean. Be aware that wax paper and parchment cannot be used for the same application. Wax paper will smoke and should never be used in the oven.
- When you lay the bacon on the baking sheet, they can touch (they'll shrink) but try not to overlap the slices.
- My recipe instructions are for crispy, oven baked bacon with a slight chew. Reduce your time to 20 minutes for softer bacon or try 35-40 for even crispier bacon. Just to be on the safe side, I would start checking your bacon after about 15 minutes.
- Instead of using paper towels, a cooling rack can also be used to drain any excess fat from the bacon.
- Save your excess bacon fat by filtering it through a mesh strainer and storing in a glass jar orÂ bacon grease container. It's important to remove any excess bits from the bacon fat or it will go rancid. Use it anywhere you would normally use oil or butter for cooking. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try my Bacon Mayo recipe!
- Meal prepping? Store cooked bacon in the fridge and grab it whenever you need it! If you have an air fryer, this bacon heats up beautifully at 350Âº in minutes.
- Don't burn the bacon!Â This is the only thing you need to watch for. But let's be honest, burnt bacon can still be delicious.
Bacon in the Oven
- 9 slices bacon (regular cut)
- baking sheet
- foil or parchment paper
- DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, place a single layer of bacon. They can touch (they'll shrink when cooking), but do NOT overlap.
- Place into a cold oven and set the temperature to 375º F.
- Cook until desired doneness. I like mine crispy with just the slightest bit of chew. For me, the sweet spot is right around 30 minutes.
- Using a fork or metal tongs, transfer bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any excess fat.
- Strain the excess bacon fat from the tray and use in your cooking. It's amazing!
Perfect is an adjective I very rarely use, let alone with food. But in the case of preparing bacon, it's a fitting title!
Nothing will fill your home with a better essence than bacon cooking in the oven.
Do you know how to make bacon in the oven?
I have tried cooking bacon in the oven and it makes a lot of smoke setting off the smoke alarm. Plus it splatters grease all over the inside of the oven. What am I doing wrong?
Are you starting with a cold oven? This is key -- you don't want to preheat. Also, you can try draping a piece of parchment over top to prevent splattering!
I’ve been baking bacon for years. I always use a large sheet pan lined with foil and cook the whole pound. I’ve never had a greasy mess inside the oven afterwards. Maybe they don’t line the pan? My oven heats up fairly quickly so mine is always done within 25 min at 375. I have a gas oven.
This is the perfect way to cook bacon! It is delicious and so easy! Just lined a large jelly roll pan with foil and 30 minutes was exactly the right time. Doing it ahead is going to make Christmas breakfast a cinch and no bacon smell!
Kristina M. Johns
What brand of bacon do you buy to avoid sugar.
Honestly, I don't sweat the amount of sugar in bacon. It's very minimal. I just look for brands that are 0 - 1g carbs per serving. If you really want to go with a sugar-free brand, I know that Butcher Box does one. It's also from pasture-raised pigs!
Does the cooking time include the time it takes to get the oven up to 375? e.g. if my oven takes 15 minutes to heat up, do I cook for 30 min or 45?
The 15 minutes will include the heat up time as well, so put it in the oven and then turn your oven on.
My daughter oven bakes the bacon all the time. However, my oven is now a complete mess. Is there any way to keep from ha ing bacon grease all over the oven? We do love how the bacon turns out.
Hmm, I would suggest maybe a baking sheet with a thicker edge or you could try putting a layer of parchment on top when baking. That would prevent it from shooting across the oven.
I haven't had any issues with grease in my oven though, so hopefully this helps!
The absolute best way to cook bacon!!! I use parchment and bend up the sides just in case the bacon is super greasy. When it's done, I remove the slices to a dish and drain my grease in a tub to be used for frying!! No messy stove top! BACON IS THE BEST!!! SO ARE YOU DOMINIC! We love you! Thanks for helping us stay on track ♡
Love making my bacon in the oven!! I usually do a whole pkg at a time. 😀 I use my Silipat mat on a rimmed baking stone to bake my bacon. Works perfect
Love that idea! Do you find that its still easy to clean? I love when I can just toss the foil afterwards and still have a clean pan.
Doesn't this splatter all over your oven and create a mess?
Nope! No mess, and easy clean-up!