I was in Alabama when I tried a good pimento cheese for the first time. The experience was life-changing to say the least!
On top a juicy burger (no bun, please) loaded with bacon, grilled onions and peppers, it formed a glorious pool of gooey goodness that tantalized my tastebuds.
It was everything. I was obsessed!
I then proceeded to put pimento cheese on almost everything, even my Zesty Cheddar Biscuits!
Pimento cheese has been a staple in my refrigerator ever since.
What is pimento cheese?
Pimento cheese is a spread (typically for crackers and sandwiches) that is super popular in the southern part of the United States. Typical ingredients often include shredded cheddar cheese, pimentos, and mayonnaise.
Pimentos are a type of cherry pepper that are traditionally used in this type of spread. I love to switch it up and use different types of peppers to create different flavors. This Keto pimento cheese recipe calls for diced green chiles, which add a nice kick and texture.
Is store bought pimento cheese keto-friendly?
Typically, yes. Remember to always check your labels as some recipes have added sugar.
If available at your grocery store, the Palmetto Cheese brand is especially delicious!
Why use fresh grated cheese?
It makes all the difference in the flavor of this delicious dip! You can totally use pre-shredded cheese if that’s all you have on hand, but these also contain anti-caking ingredients (such as potato starch) that sometimes dull the flavor of the cheese.
Fresh grated will always have the freshest flavor with no extra ingredients.
Choose a cheese that you love and grate away — it really does makes all the difference.
What else can I make with pimento cheese?
- Burgers — use it as a creamy component to melt over top your grilled burger and let the cheesy explosion ensue
- Omelets — add a few spoonfuls into your omelet for a flavorful breakfast
- Chicken — stir into your favorite chicken salad or use as stuffing for baked chicken
- Tacos — top your favorite protein with a generous spoonful and enjoy on a low carb tortilla (air frying them makes chips!)
- Nachos – dip with your favorite pork rinds or Keto Cheez-Its
Keto Pimento Cheese with Green Chiles
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese fresh grated
- 3 tbsp cream cheese room temperature
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 oz can of diced green chiles drained
- 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried parsley or cilantro for garnish optional
In a large bowl, add cream cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Whip together with a hand mixer or whisk until evenly incorporated.
Gently fold in drained green chiles and freshly grated cheddar cheese. Avoid over-mixing to keep the volume and texture of the shredded cheese.
Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to develop flavors.
Serve with your favorite low carb chips or pork rinds. Enjoy!
Have you ever tried pimento cheese? What did you think?