It’s safe to say that Fall is finally here! Everything about fall makes me happy: sweaters, hot apple cider, harvest festivals and most importantly — pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING.
For most people, the transition into fall begins with the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. For me, it all starts with a decadent Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling.
Now, I know this recipe looks like it has a ton of ingredients and time. It is very unlike me to post something that is this time consuming and ingredient-heavy. However, I know that once you try this recipe you will be in love! This is my go-to dessert for fall entertaining and holidays!
Phew. Again, I apologize for the length of this post. It’s definitely not my style, but this Pumpkin Roll is out of this word and a must have for this holiday season!
This recipe can be modified in many different ways. In the past, I've made a chocolate roll cake that had raspberry filling that was to die for. Another tasty idea would be a red velvet jelly roll! Yum.
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup erythritol
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 1 teaspoon gelatin mixed with 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- * to avoid sweeteners omit erythritol and maple extract and use ½ cup of maple syrup.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup erythritol or 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a jelly roll pan with coconut oil (including the edges) and line with parchment
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, sweetener (erythritol + maple extract or maple syrup), coconut milk, melted butter, apple cider vinegar and vanilla until evenly incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together hot water with gelatin. Add it to to other large mixing bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, combine coconut flour, psyllium husks, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir until completely incorporated.
- Pour into parchment-lined jelly roll pan and place into oven for 15-20 minutes. The cake will be done when you touch the center and it bounces back (kind of like jello).
- Allow cake to completely cool.
- While cake is cooling, combine ingredients for frosting and mix until fluffy.
- When cake is completely cool, remove it from the pan but keep the parchment underneath.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cake (again, make sure it’s completely cool or the frosting will melt).
- Pick up one side of the cake by the parchment paper and slowly begin to roll the cake inward, forming a roll cake. Do this until you reach the end and you’re left with a cake that almost looks like a rolled up carpet.
- Wrap the cake TIGHTLY in plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, remove plastic wrap and slice.