“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Ever since I started reading the Harry Potter series in third grade, I've been obsessed with trying to create my own version of an old wizard favorite -- Butterbeer. The perfect accompaniment to a handful of chocolate frogs.
Now, I don't believe there are specific ingredients out there for this magical beverage. While the recipe may be up for interpretation, the book describes butter beer as a "less sickly butterscotch." It's also served hot and with a generous serving of whipping cream!
At any rate, the recipes that I did find online varied greatly -- some with sugar and water, pumpkin juice, and even frozen butterbeer.
Out of desperation, I decided to take matters into my own hands. With a few flicks of my wand I was off to the kitchen with a warm drink in my heart.
My Butterbeer recipe is the perfect beverage for a holiday gathering, a Harry Potter themed party, or pick-me-up on a cold winters night. In fact, even Madam Rosmerta of the Three Broomsticks would be so lucky to get her hands on this one!
Steps to Preparing Butterbeer
- Pour boiling water into mug
- Add spoonful of butterbeer mixture
- Stir, froth or use an electric mixer to combine
- Optional: Finish it off with whipped topping (or a scoop of Keto friendly ice cream) and sprinkling of nutmeg
Keto Butterbeer Mixture
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir occasionally until a light brown color develops (approximately 8-12 minutes)
- While butter is browning, combine rest of the ingredients (aside from the vanilla) and stir to combine.
- When butter is slightly browned, turn heat to medium low and stir in the other ingredients. I find that a whisk works best.
- Add in heavy whipping cream and whisk to combine. Stir every so often. As soon as you start seeing a few small bubbles, remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Cool mixture for at least 20 minutes before pouring into a glass jar. Mixture can be used immediately or cooled in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To Prepare the Butter Beer
- Add half a cup of boiling water to your favorite mug.
- Take a heaping spoonful (or 2) of your Butter Beer mixture and melt it in the boiling water. Blending with a milk frother works really well.
- If you're feeling boozy, add a shot of spiced rum. This recipe is delicious either way!
- For something extra indulgent, add a spoonful of whipped cream!
The butterbeer mixture will come out sort of like a thick butterscotch topping. The flavor is amazing and deep -- it would probably go great in coffee, too.
Tips & Substitutions
- Make the butterbeer mixture in advance if you'd like to serve this at parties or have it ready to go after a long day at work!
- This recipe is just as delicious without the rum, but they do go down fairly easy! Be careful.
- If you'd still like to leave a taste of rum without a shot of alcohol, consider adding rum extract.
- If you don't have any of the golden sweeteners (or those meant to be a brown sugar substitute), you can use all regular sweetener.
- While it's very unlikely to be Keto-friendly, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios serves their own version of the wizard drink.
Are you a Harry Potter fan? Would you try Butterbeer?