Thanks to Instagram, I’ve been completely obsessed with preparing different variations of Keto waffles. While some recipes call for almond milk, cream cheese or whipped cream, my savory recipe features broccoli and cheese.
At first, I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out. Broccoli sometimes smells a little funky to me, which was definitely a concern.
However, after a few different attempts, they came out so much better than I expected!
The edges of the waffles are crispy while the inside remains light and fluffy. The broccoli steams perfectly in the waffle iron with just the slightest bite.
You can’t beat it for 3g of net carbs!
Not a fan of broccoli?
While my recipe specifically calls for broccoli, you can totally switch up the ingredients for a different style of waffle.
This base also works great with diced ham, chopped spinach, grilled onions and peppers and so much more.
You can even completely omit the veggies and aromatics and add sweetener for a dessert style waffle. I find that monk fruit or erythritol works well.
You can also serve with sugar-free syrup, just like regular waffles!
Be creative and use your favorite ingredients!
Perfect to make ahead
When I make these, they’re usually gone instantly. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make them ahead!
If you happen to have any leftover, freeze them and store in an freezer bag. Whenever you need a quick breakfast, just pull one out and heat it through. I usually do this in the air fryer or a hot pan.
My favorite waffle maker
Time to pull out that Belgian waffle iron! Or any waffle cooking device you may have for that matter. I recently ordered a Dash Mini Waffle Maker and I’m obsessed! It’s super affordable and each waffle is the perfect size to use as a bread substitute.
This magic device comes in a variety of colors that will suite any kitchen style. I’ve even considered buying another to make them even faster!
For a full-sized version, I can’t say enough good things about this Belgian waffle maker.
What is the difference between waffle and pancake recipes?
Usually nothing. Traditional recipes almost always call for the same ingredients and typically include things like baking powder or heavy cream.
Keto Waffle Serving Ideas
Like I mentioned, I typically make two mini waffles and use them as “bread” for my sandwiches. They make a fantastic breakfast sandwich with some bacon or sausage in between.
They’re also great to dip into a runny egg yolk or gravy, or for use as a quick pizza base.
Broccoli & Cheddar Keto Waffles
- waffle iron
- ⅓ cup raw broccoli, finely chopped 20g
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded 28g
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried minced onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- Plug in your waffle iron to come to temperature.
- In a small bowl, crack and beat the egg with a fork.
- Fold in the broccoli, cheese, garlic powder, onion, salt and pepper.
- When the waffle iron is ready, spray with cooking spray (if needed) and add your egg mixture. Close the waffle iron and let it cook until the light goes out, indicating it has finished one cycle.
- Close the lid again and let it cook through another cycle.
- When finished, carefully remove from the waffle iron with tongs or a fork.
- Enjoy! Serve with butter, sour cream or ranch dressing.
For an even crispier exterior, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese before and after laying your egg mixture.
Storebought Keto Waffles
Feeling a little lazy? Don’t worry, I get it. Fortunately, there are some pretty decent Keto Pancake mixes out there that also work well as waffles.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Good Dee’s Low Carb Pancake Mix
- Birch Bender’s Pancake Mix (comes in chocolate chip, too!)
- Just like “Buttermilk” Pancakes from Kawaii Treats and Eats
Pin this Post
Do you have a favorite waffle recipe you like on the Keto Diet? Comment below!
Dom Geracia is a long time Keto diet follower who is passionate about simplifying the low carb lifestyle for beginners. When he's not posting yummy food pics on Instagram, you can likely find him cuddling the nearest cat or guzzling down (yet another) iced coffee.