“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Spaghetti Squash Casserole is not something that I remember eating in my youth. In fact, I didn't know what a spaghetti squash was until I was just entering my college days. Man had I been missing out.
While I did grow up in an Italian-American family, lasagna was a dish that I always looked forward to. We didn't have it very often, but when we did... we did. I remember my mother always making 4 or 5 pans of the Italian dinner and sharing some with family, freezing some, eating some (or a lot...).
Naturally, when I started eating according to a Keto diet, I knew I had to make a low carb and high fat version of this lasagna! Layers of fatty meats, creamy cheeses and slightly crisp spaghetti squash create a dish that will be a hit for the whole family. This is my Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole.
This recipe is a great base for others as well. Instead of ground beef, try using turkey and Mexican seasonings for a different flavor profile.
Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 2 cups steamed spaghetti squash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese reserve 1 cup for topping
- 2 oz sliced pepperoni approx 32 slices
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- sweetener to taste I used 1 drop of liquid sucralose
- In a large skillet, start browning ground beef and Italian sausage on medium-high heat, breaking meat into smaller pieces with wooden spoon. Drain excess fat.
- Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and stir until meat is cooked through.
- Add in tomato paste and vegetable stock and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add in tomato puree, sweetener, dried oregano and basil. Let cook and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add in spaghetti squash and stir until incorporated.
- In a medium sized casserole dish, spread out half of the mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- On top, layer the mozzarella, parmesan and half of the pepperoni.
- Add remaining squash and meat mixture on top.
- Top with remaining pepperoni and reserved mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and place into oven for 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and remove foil.
- Change oven temperature to broil.
- Place back into oven until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Usually 2-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
Another beautiful thing about this recipe is that it reheats and stores well. It's also a great dish to prepare ahead, keep in the refrigerator and bake off when you're ready to eat!
What are you waiting for? Give my Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole a try!
What's your favorite make ahead meal that gets you through the week? Share below!